This subwoofer was designed to fit into the entertainment center I am planning. (The design for the entertainment center will not be complete until I have finished the surround speakers.) I reserve all rights to these designs and images.
Features of the design:
- Closed box design (acoustic suspension). This produces a more accurate sound than ported designs. The trade off is the box is bigger.
- The walls are a 1.75 Inch thick plywood and MDF sandwich (with 1/4 inch foamed urethane core – not recommended).
- The interior is coved to reduce resonant peaks.
- Cavities behind coves are filled with 95 lbs of sand for additional dampening.
- Driver: 15 inch, 500 watt Dayton RSS390HF-4 15″ Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm.
- 500 watt Dayton class D amplifier that I picked up on ebay on sale from Parts Express.
- Exterior dimensions: 40 in wide (at the back), 22.75 in deep, 20 in tall.
- The right side is angled at 10 degrees.
- The amp is in a separate partition sealed from the speaker enclosure (as the amp is not sealed enough).
- Interior volume (speaker enclosure): 4.0 cu ft.
- QTS is .77
- Weight: over 350 lbs with the driver and amp.